- 6 Aug 2000
- The Smithy, High Street, Owston Ferry, North Lincolnshire, Lincolnshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SE 8000-8100 OWSTON FERRY HIGH STREET (south side)
21/140 The Smithy
Smithy and engineering shop. 1859 for George Laming; bay to right raised to 2 storeys in later C19 - early C20. Red brick. Pantile roof. Rectangular on plan. 2 storeys, 3 first-floor windows. Waggon entrance to right with double board doors on strap hinges beneath rubbed-brick basket arch with raised keystone bearing carved horseshoe and raised inscription G L. Pair 1859 of round-headed windows to left with recessed double board doors on strap hinges, stone sills and rubbed-brick arches. All ground-floor openings have flush stone hinge-mounting blocks. First floor: pair of 16-pane casements to left with small panes, stone sills, and lintels at eaves level. Right bay has 3-light wooden mullioned-and-transomed window with glazing bars and stone sill beneath segmental arch. Painted sign between two windows to left:
LAMING & SON AGRICULTURAL ENGINEERS IMPLEMENT AGENTS
Dentilled brick eaves cornice to original left section. Corniced end stack to left, ridge stack to right. Right gable end has ground-floor casement with iron glazing bars and small panes beneath segmental arch, outline of former gable above. Interior retains original fittings; not investigated.
An unusual survival. Included partly for historical interest.
Listing NGR: SE8096100269
© Mrs Janet Roworth. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Roworth, Janet
Rights Holder: Roworth, Janet
Brick, Pantile, Victorian Blacksmiths Workshop, Industrial, Metal Workers Workshop, Craft Industry Site, Workshop, Industrial Building, Engineering Workshop, Engineering Industry Site, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument