- 13 Mar 2001
- Warden's House, 39 High Street, Epworth, North Lincolnshire, Lincolnshire, DN9 1EP
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SE 7803-7903 EPWORTH HIGH STREET (south side)
20/80 No 39 (Warden's House)
House for Warden of Wesley Memorial Church (qv). 1888-9 by Charles Bell.
Rock-faced ashlar to front and sides, yellow brick to rear; ashlar dressings throughout. Welsh slate roof. T-shaped on plan. 2 storeys. North front has entrance in single-bay range to left, with projecting single-bay gabled wing to right. Chamfered plinth, quoins. Chamfered rounded-trefoil doorway beneath pointed hoodmould with carved stops. Board door with ornate wrought ironwork. Small single-light sash in quoined surround above. Wing to right has 3-light ground-floor window and 2-light first-floor window with chamfered mullions and reveals, quoined surrounds, segmental relieving arches and sashes with 4 small panes over 2 larger panes. Coped gables with shaped kneelers and trefoil finials. Axial stack with offset and ashlar shaft. Part of an unusually ornate group of Methodist buildings, erected in commemoration of the founder of Methodism, John Wesley (1703-91), and the Wesley family of Epworth. Included for group value only.
Listing NGR: SE7809403844
© Mrs Janet Roworth. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Roworth, Janet
Rights Holder: Roworth, Janet
Ashlar, Brick, Welsh Slate, Victorian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative