Castle Head Bridge
- 11 Jul 2000
- Castle Head Bridge, Lindale Road, Grange Over Sands, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA11 6ET
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD47NW LINDALE ROAD 705-1/2/20 (East side (off)) Castle Head Bridge
Bridge with sluice gates. c1800. Limestone ashlar and rubble, with iron railings on north parapet. Has 2 segmental arches , with cutwaters projecting to north and south which have slots for sluice gates. The southern cutwaters are much taller than those to the north. The solid parapets have bands below their copings. HISTORY: John Wilkinson (1728-1808) the ironmaster, who owned the Castle Head estate, carried out a scheme of land drainage and improvement from 1778 onwards. He was also associated with the earliest (unexecuted) large-scale plan to enclose Morecambe Bay. Scheduled Ancient Monument. (Marshall JD: Furness and the Industrial Revolution: Barrow-in-Furness: 1958-: 64).
Listing NGR: SD4220379678
© Mr CJ Wright. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Wright, Cj
Rights Holder: Wright, Cj
Ashlar, Iron, Limestone, Rubble, Georgian Bridge, Monument <By Form>, Transport, Sluice Gate, Water Supply And Drainage, Water Regulation Installation, Railings, Barrier