Church Of St James
- 4 Mar 2001
- Church Of St James, Elvetham Road B15, Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 2SE
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ELVETHAM ROAD 1.
5104 Edgbaston B15 Church of St James SP 0685 SW 46/13 21.1.70 II 2.
1852 by S S Teulon for the Calthorpe Estate. A cruciform aisless church designed to house a large congregation. Decorated style. Pink sandstone with buff dressings. Low nave walls with 2 light windows between buttresses. The very steeply pitched roof dominates the design and is clad with patterned tiles.
Two timber dormers with geometrical tracery to each pitch and traingular louvred vents higher up; ornamental ridge tiles. The broad transepts have large north and south wheel windows. The lower chancel with slight geometrical east window, is flanked by vestries. Next to the south vestry gable in the angle with the transept rises a slim square tower broaching to octagonal belfry and surmounted by a squat spire with lucarnes. Projecting from nave a stone south porch approached by swept flight of steps. North and South doors have lively iron pattern work to hinges. Inside the vast nave roof runs straight through crossing to chancel, paried hammer beams alternating with scissor trusses. Corbelled arches to transepts and corbelled clustered shafts to chancel arch. There is a surprising internal buttress to the tower. A spacious evangelical plan, allowing the pulpit to dominate.
Listing NGR: SP0617685474
© Dr John Davis. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Davis, John
Rights Holder: Davis, John
Sandstone, Tile, Victorian Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship