This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 46 SW CONGRESBURY C.P. CHURCH DRIVE (east side)
4/97 Church of St. Andrew 9.2.61 G.V. I
Anglican parish church. C13 origin remodelled in C15 with restorations in 1825, 1856 and 1950-2. Coursed and squared rubble with flush rusticated dressed stone quoins, stone copings and ashlar dressings, copper roof to nave, slates to chancel.
Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch. Principal windows are of 3-lights with Perpendicular cusped tracery under pointed-arched heads with some C19 renewal and C19 face stops to hoodmoulds. Smaller, similar 2-light Perpendicular windows to nave clerestory. East window of 5 lights.
Offset buttresses to aisles with blind embattled parapets and crocketted pinnacles.
Tower of 2 stages with spire. Offset diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses, blind embattled parapet with corner crocketted pinnacles. 2-light bell openings on all faces except the east which has a large clock face decorated with border cusping. Gargoyles to north face only. West facade has a doorway with deep reveal decorated with 2 tiers of niches in the jambs; 2-leaf plank door. Above this a 3-light C15 window under pointed head. Octagonal tapering spire with 2-light ogee-headed openings to alternate faces. North aisle with polygonal rood stair turret, gargoyles and figure niche to parapet and north doorway of 3 orders with C19 face stops to hoodmould and plank door. South porch with 4-centred arched doorway and 2-leaf plank door. 3-light windows under flat head to parvise.
South doorway with fleurons in the jambs and an ogee gable with large finial.
Interior. Nave has 4-bay C13 arcades, that to the south with detached Purbeck shafts to piers replaced in 1856. Fine face stops in the spandrels of the north aisle arcade. Complex moulded tower arch. Barrel roof much restored but with original bosses and intricate tracery to wall plate. Fine stone corbels : all faces with toothache commemorating William Button (Bishop of Bath and Wells 1218- 64). Rood loft opening and stair door on north wall. Tall chancel arch with wave moulding and faces half way up jambs. Chancel has C19 wagon roof and double C13 piscina on south wall. Aisles have plaster ribbed vaults with face corbels. South chapel has pointed-headed piscina and Easter sepulchre recess.
Fittings. C13 font with cable moulding on bowl supported by 4 shafts; Jacobean font cover. C19 Early English style pulpit, C19 brass lectern. Fine C15 rood screen with some renewal. C20 stained glass in south aisle windows, C19 glass in east window with medieval fragments in top lights. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST4356663766
© Mike Bedingfield. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bedingfield, Mike
Rights Holder: Bedingfield, Mike
Ashlar, Copper, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.