This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
GRITTLETON LEIGH DELAMERE ST 87 NE
7/14 Nos 1-8 (consec) The Almshouses
Row of almshouses, 1848 by James Thomson for Joseph Neeld of Grittleton. Squared rubble stone with stone slate roofs and clustered ashlar stacks, one group of four on each wing, two on centre ridge. Two storeys. Long centre range with projecting gabled wings each end. Tudor style with raised plinth, dripcourse and 2-light stone mullion windows with hoodmoulds. Centre has 5- window range, the upper windows under eaves-breaking shouldered gables. Centre gable has blank shield plaque over 2-light with small single light each side and ground floor heavy projecting open porch with shouldered gable, shield and crest and depressed Tudor- arched openings on three sides. Tudor-arched entry gives on to spine passage with access to four almshouses. A low wall each side of porch front connects to wings. Wings have door and first floor 2-light on inner sides, 2-step shouldered gables with ashlar coping, shield plaques, first floor two light windows and ground floor triangular bay windows to south end walls. Bay windows have centre buttress and two Tudor-arched lights each side. Wings have diagonal angle buttresses.
(Wiltshire Record Office, 1620/43 has original designs by Thomson dated 1848, showing a front cloister on low front wall, not actually built)
Listing NGR: ST8848479281
© Mr Jeffery Bartlett. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bartlett, Jeffery
Rights Holder: Bartlett, Jeffery
Rubble, Stone, Victorian Almshouse, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier