The Parish Church Of St Andrew
- 14 Jun 2000
- The Parish Church Of St Andrew, Park Lane, West Dean, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18 0QY
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WEST DEAN PARK LANE SU 8612-8712 33/238 The Parish Church of St Andrew 5.6.58 - II*
Medieval structure but little remains visible of early date. Cruciform church with west tower and porch in the base of this. Built of flint with slate roof. The chancel and nave are medieval. The tower dates from 1727.
The transepts are late C18. There was a fire in 1934 and the church was then rebuilt by Frederick Etchells. The walls of the nave are pre-Conquest, the chancel C13. Most of the windows are C18. The fittings date from 1934.
Wall monument to Sir Richard Lewknor (d 1616) and his sons. One recumbent figure and 2 kneeling effigies.
Listing NGR: SU8614812613
© Mrs Heather A Coulson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Coulson, Heather A
Rights Holder: Coulson, Heather A
Flint, Slate, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Effigy