This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 3174 RAILTON ROAD 963/23/10067 Herne Hill Railway Station, Entrance Block only
II Railway station building. 1862, for the London, Chatham and Dover Railway. London stock brick with white al red brick decorations and a Welsh slate roof. The railway runs on a viaduct at this point and the platfom1S are at first floor level. Entrance block: Two storey block, six windows in width, with a three storey tow on the left and a two storey wing on the right, both set back slightly. White banding to the brickwork and red dressings to the window heads which also have white keystones. The main block has replacement sash windows, arranged 2+2+2, the "central pair being both smaller and closer together. All the windows have pointed heads. Central entrance on the ground floor, which has paired arched doorways with replacement joinery. The entrance has a timber canopy on three carved brackets and with a fretted valance. Hipped roof over the main block with a chimney to the right. The tower has an entrance door on the ground floor leading to a subway under the tracks, paired recesses as the windows on the first floor, and arcading on the upper floor which continues on all faces pyramid roof above with a secondary chimney. The wing to the right has a single window above a shop, lean-to roof. Interior: The booking hall and the staircase have been recased in modern materials. Upper floors not available for inspection. Platform elevation: This is single storey with all openings blocked as the platform has not been in use for many years. The wall is panelled with all the previous openings still expressed. A hipped platform canopy with slate roof still survives. The two island platforms currently in use were reconstructed with buildings and steel canopies the early C20. History: This station was built by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway and was opened to traffic on 25 August 1862. The consulting engineer to the railway was Joseph Cubitt. The Company was amalgamated with the South Eastern Railway in 1898 to become the South Eastern and Chatham Railway, and became a constituent of the Southern railway in 1923.
Listing NGR: TQ3195074400
© Les Kerry. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Kerry, Les
Rights Holder: Kerry, Les
Brick, Steel, Welsh Slate, Victorian Booking Office, Commercial, Commercial Office, Railway Station, Transport, Railway Transport Site, Railway Platform
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.