Church Of All Saints

17 Jun 2000
Church Of All Saints, Church Road, Grafham, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28 0BB
Photograph (Digital)


This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.




Parish church mainly C14 but plan suggests an earlier church on site. West tower with broach spire; nave, north aisle, south chapel and porch and chancel. Late C14 west tower of pebble and rubble stone with coursed stone ashlar to 2 stage diagonal buttressing and to quoins of C15 half octagonal newel staircase at south-east corner. Tower of 2 stages and bell stage. On splayed plinth with string courses between stages. West doorway (restored) of 2 chamfered orders in 4-centred head.

C15 west window of 3 cinquefoil lights in 4-centred head with label and plain returns.

Each wall of bell chamber has 2-light openings with cinquefoil heads with quatrefoil.

in 2-centred arches. Moulded label continued as string course. Two-stage, ashlared broach spire on octagonal base with C17 obelisk pinnacles to broaches. One to south- east cut down. Two tiers of gabled spire lights. Mid C13 nave of rubble and pebble- stone. Plain tiled with crested ridge tiles and 2 gabled dormers to south side, each with leaded lights in pointed arches. C13 chancel. Mainly pebble and rubble stone. Plain tiled with gable end parapet. C13 north doorway with chamfered jambs in 2-centred head with roll moulded label and return stops. C15 two-light window on site of C15 opening. Early C13 east window, much restored in C16 or C17. Two early C13 windows in south wall. One of two and one of three lights with intersecting tracery in 2-centred arches. C14 south chapel. Pebble rubble on plinth. East window of 5 trefoil lights in 4-centred head with defaced mask stops. Two C14 windows (restored) of 2 lights in ogre arches with square heads. South porch rebuilt 1902. Pebblestone and rubble incorporating in west wall fragments of architecture and a mediaeval tomb slab with figure of a priest in vestments carved in relief.

Interior C13 north arcade of 4 bays. Two-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders on round columns and capitals, the bases being concealed beneath the raised floor. Late C13 or early C14 south arcade. Of 2 bays. Two-centred arches on octagonal piers.

C16 pent roof with original chamfered beams and moulded wall plate. C19 nave roof of 4 bays with 2 C17 roof trusses surviving. The beams with jackposts supported on stone corbels. North aisle has C16 roof of 5 bays. Moulded principals and longitudinal beams. Two surviving jackposts and bracing originally on corbels, now removed. C15 rood staircase in south-east corner. Four-centred, hollow moulded arch to entry. C13 chancel arch rebuilt. Two-centred arch of one chamfered order.

C13 piscina in south wall of chancel. Of 2 bays. Two chamfered orders in 2-centred heads, on round columns with moulded octagonal capitals and bases. C14 font, tapering octagonal bowl on round stem with plinth. Each face carved. Fragments of C16 work in bench at west end of nave.

RCHM (Hunts) p 116, item (1).

Pevsner (Buildings of England) p 252.

Listing NGR: TL1597269154


This is part of the Series: IOE01/1932 IOE Records taken by D J Stacey; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England


© Mr D.J Stacey. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Stacey, D.J

Rights Holder: Stacey, D.J


Ashlar, Pebble, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Tomb, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Funerary Site, Parish Church, Church, Place Of Worship

to top