This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BRAUNSTON OXFORD CANAL SP56NW 4/110 Aqueduct No.96
Aqueduct. c.1830. Random blue and red brick. 3 parabolic arches with blue brick surrounds, divided by brick buttresses. Parapet has blue brick coping, blue brick string course at base. Iron plaque inscribed '96' over central arch, Flanking walls extending forwards on either side, blue and red brick, partly rendered. Carries the Oxford Canal across the River Leam. This section of the canal was built in 1829-1834 as part of a scheme for shortening and straightening the canal, which formerly joined the Grand Union Canal at Braunston Wharf.
(H. Compton: The Oxford Canal, 1976, p.95).
Listing NGR: SP5296465785
© Dr John Airlie Hunter. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Airlie Hunter, John
Rights Holder: Airlie Hunter, John
Brick, Render, Georgian Aqueduct, Victorian Transport, Water Transport Site, Water Supply And Drainage, Watercourse