This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NX 91 SE ST BEES HIGH HOUSE ROAD (North side) St Bees 8/79 Barn to north-east of High House
Bank barn inscribed and dated on panel over dovecote William & Hannah Fox 1810; outshuts added to north side. Coursed, squared rubble with quoins; additions in snecked rubble. Graduated slate roof with stone ridge, copings, and kneelers.
South (farmyard) elevation has byre door and fixed window to right; low-relief head and Greek inscription on stone set in wall over lintel. Central wagon door has elliptical head. Byre door to left; winnowing door above has dovecote openings to left in 4 rows of 8. Ventilation slits to eaves; circular owl-hole to east return. Threshing floor wagon door under porch to centre rear; door opens off porch to either side into storage outshut, with byre door below right-hand store.
Listing NGR: NX9763412164
© Mr Julian Thurgood. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Thurgood, Julian
Rights Holder: Thurgood, Julian
Mortar, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Georgian Dovecote, Agriculture And Subsistence, Agricultural Building, Bank Barn, Barn, Farm Building, Cow House, Animal Shed, Threshing Barn, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument