This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SE6152NE STOCKTON LANE 1112-1/11/1003 (North side) The Kiosk
Electrobus booster station and terminus; now shop. 1915; altered 1922. Designed by the City Engineer. Orange-brown brick in English garden-wall bond, some rusticated and some herring-bone infilling to planted timber-framing; tiled gableted roof with overhanging bracketed eaves. EXTERIOR: 1-storey structure of 2 unequal bays articulated by rusticated brick piers. Bay to left has 3-leaf glazed folding door between 1-light fixed windows set in planted timber-framed screen. Bay to right has 2-light window at rear of former shelter recess. Left return has 2-light window; right return plain door. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was designed for the dual functions of terminus shelter and battery re-charging station for electrobuses introduced into the City in 1915 and operated to Heworth until 1920. In 1922 permission was granted for the conversion of the building to tobacco and sweet kiosk. York was one of only eight towns in Britain to run battery operated electrobuses. (York Historian: Murray H: Electrobuses in York: York: 1990-: 68-84).
Listing NGR: SE6156252827
© Mr Martin Roberts. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Roberts, Martin
Rights Holder: Roberts, Martin
Brick, Tile, Timber, 20th Century Bus Station, Transport, Road Transport Site, Kiosk, Commercial