This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MEDLAR WITH WESHAM FLEETWOOD ROAD SD 43 SW 9/41 Christ Church - - II
Church, 1893-4, by Paley and Austin, with chancel and steeple 1927. Red brick with pink sandstone dressings, red tiled roof, green slate cladding to spire.
Nave with low aisles, chancel under same roof, south-west steeple and attached porch. Decorated style. West gable to road has angle-buttresses, very large 2-centred arched window of 5 full-height lights, parapet with returned end stepped down to nave on north side; 6-bay nave has chamfered sill-band and 2 sandstone bands run into the window surrounds, large 2-centred arched 3-light windows with mouchette tracery in the heads, and moulded surrounds and hoodmoulds of glazed light red brick; low aisles each have two small 2-light windows with rounded lights; short mono-pitch roofed transeptal chapels at east end of nave. Continuation of chancel (1927) in matching style and materials has only an east window: very large, 2-centred arched, 7 lights with mouchette tracery in the head. Square brick 3-stage tower with 2-light belfry louvres is finished with sandstone parapet stepped up at the corners, and carries a small octagonal spire; gabled porch attached on south side of tower has moulded stone doorway, and a stone parapet. Interior: unusual arcade of stone piers alternately lacking capitals, the stone continued above the springing of moulded semi-circular arches in brick; very wide chancel arch designed in the same fashion, but with the inner moulding rising from a corbelled stone shaft; wagon,roof carried on shallow trusses of raised tie-beams with struts and false kingposts.
Listing NGR: SD4176233024
© Mr G M Smith. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Smith, G M
Rights Holder: Smith, G M
Brick, Sandstone, Slate, Tile, Timber, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship