5 St Helens Square / The York County Savings Bank

Date:
9 Sep 2001
Location:
5 St Helens Square, York, North Yorkshire, YO1 8QW
Show all locations
The York County Savings Bank, 5 St Helens Square, York, North Yorkshire, YO1 8QW
Reference:
IOE01/05478/01
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

YORK

SE6051NW ST HELEN'S SQUARE 1112-1/28/938 (North West side) 01/07/68 No.5 (Formerly Listed as: ST HELEN'S SQUARE No.5 The York County Savings Bank)

GV II

Bank. 1829-30; extended 1924; ground floor altered 1991. By Messrs. Watson, Pritchett and Watson for the York County Savings Bank. Brick faced with sandstone ashlar, ground floor rusticated on horizontally ribbed basement; shallow pitched slate roof with stacks of brick faced with ashlar. EXTERIOR: 2 storey front, 1 and half bays to St Helen's Square, 3 and half bays to Blake Street on either side of curved corner bay; half bays flank corner bay. Extension of 3 low storeys and 3 bays at right end of Blake Street front. Corner bay entrance has double doors of shaped panels, with Doric column jambs and shaped overlight above, in tall architrave beneath segmental hoodmould on moulded brackets: doors are recessed behind folding ironwork gates, and overlight has scrolled grille. Overlight transom inscribed 'SAVINGS BANK'. First floor is articulated by fluted Composite columns and plain pilasters supporting entablature with plain frieze and moulded cornice. Windows on both floors are 1-pane sashes, those on first floor with semicircular fanlights inset in round-headed openings, and with architraves and transoms enriched with incised Greek key ornament. Corner bay crowned with shaped pediment of volutes framing a panel with words 'SAVINGS BANK' carved in low relief. Blake Street extension has subsidiary door of fielded panels in pedimented doorcase at right end. Ground floor windows are margin glazed: first and second floor windows treated as single element, to match those of original building, but with wider transom. At right end of cornice is rectangular rainwater head dated 1924. INTERIOR: former boardroom on first floor, now subdivided: 3 bays articulated by Corinthian pilasters, with blind arcade of round arches opposite windows in round-arched architraves. Panelled double doors. Ceiling coffered by beams enriched with oak-leaf and acorn decoration. Room in extension has reset fireplace with composition ornament of urns, garlands, rinceaux and drops. (Murray H, Riddick S & Green R: York through the Eyes of the Artist: York City Art Gallery: 1990-: 86; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 203).



Listing NGR: SE6015351979

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1717 IOE Records taken by Martin Roberts; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Martin Roberts. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Roberts, Martin

Rights Holder: Roberts, Martin

Keywords

Ashlar, Brick, Sandstone, Slate, Georgian Bank (Financial), Victorian Commercial, Rainwater Head, Water Supply And Drainage