Church Of St Andrew

Date:
26 Mar 2003
Location:
Church Of St Andrew, Reepham Road, Thurning, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR20 5QY
Reference:
IOE01/07376/27
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TG 02 NE THURNING REEPHAM ROAD (west) 7/98 Church of St. Andrew.

6/3/59 II*

Parish church, C14 tower, nave and north aisle, later Perpendicular details inserted. FlinL with stone dressings, slated roof. West tower, nave and north aisle, south porch, chancel in ruins. Unbuttressed west tower with single west lancet with broken trefoil tracery, single rectangular opening to belfry chamber on east, north and west faces, south with 2-light Decorated window with clock below. Flush work battlemented parapet. Nave south 3 2- light Decorated windows with tracery heads, south porch Perpendicular with hood moulded arch recut, angle buttresses, blocked 2-light Perpendicular window on east. East window of 3-lights, reticulated tracery and former chancel south priest's door both re-erected in nave east wall. North chancel wall surviving. North aisle with Perpendicular straight headed 3-light east window, 2 straight headed 2-light north windows, 2 light Y-tracery west window of c.1300, blocked north door of c.1300. Interior: 4 bay north arcade of Per- pendicular octagonal piers, double hollow chamfered arches. Furnishings by James Burroughs for Corpus Christi College Cambridge chapel of 1742 re-erected here after 1824 by the Rev. Henry William Blake, MA and former Fellow. 3 decker pulpit with sounding board, 3-sided communion rails with gates, moulded plinth and shelf, turned balusters, sanctuary panelling.

North aisle filled with box pews, nave with open benches, boxes at rear.

Nave east wall 2 good mid C18 wall monuments, to north with rococo details signed E. Holl, 1766. Nave south wall monument signed W. Tyler 1750. 6-part Gothick tower door c.1820. Early C19 nave and aisle roofs. Late C19 stone font with wooden cover. See M. J. Sayer Thurning (1972).

Listing NGR: TG0803829446

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0620 IOE Records taken by E Downs; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr E. Downs. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Downs, E.

Rights Holder: Downs, E.

Keywords

Flint, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument