This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WHATCOTE SP2944 9/165 Church of St. Peter 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. Peter)
Church. C12-C14. Restorations 1820. Repairs c.1940. Ashlar and coursed ironstone rubble. Ironstone banded with limestone at east end. Tile and slate roofs. Stone coped gables with ball finials. Chancel, nave, west tower, south porch. Chancel has 3-light east window with intersecting tracery, a pointed arched doorway with plank; door on south, to left a square headed Perpendicular window. To right a 2-light Perpendicular window with hood mould and label stops. North side of nave: Romanesque north doorway has billet and cable mouldings. Blocked entrance.
2 tall round headed Romanesque windows and a square headed window. South side of nave: 2 lancets and a 2-light window with Y tracery with cusped head and hood mould. Renewed Y traceried window to left of gabled porch. Pointed arched south doorway has chamfered jambs and plank door. West tower: C13 2 stages divided by string courses. Windows include lancets, cinquefoiled pointed lights and trefoiled ogee headed lights. Embattled parapet. Interior: chancel has barrel roof with tie beams. C19 nave roof. C18 altar rails. C18 pulpit. 3 benches with Perpendicular ends. Circular stone font. C18 memorials in chancel to Mary Seagrove, John Seagrove and Martha Drake.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, p.470, V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol. V, 1949, pp.203-4).
Listing NGR: SP2987044534
© Mr David Morphew. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Morphew, David
Rights Holder: Morphew, David
Ashlar, Ironstone, Limestone, Rubble, Slate, Tile, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative