46 Kensington Court W8 / Electricity Generating Station

Date:
15 Jun 2002
Location:
46 Kensington Court W8, Kensington, Kensington And Chelsea, Greater London, W8 5DA
Show all locations
Electricity Generating Station, Kensington Court W8, Kensington, Kensington And Chelsea, Greater London, W8 5DA
Reference:
IOE01/07414/25
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TQ 2579 NE KENSINGTON COURT W8 31/28 13.12.77 No 46 (the former Electricity Generating Station)

II

Former generating station. 1888. Designed possibly by J J Stevenson. Three storeys.

Red brick with stone string courses, corbels and other details. Brick pilaster strips divide the bays at first and second floor levels. Terra-cotta panels in pediment over main entrance and in end bays at second floor level. Stone plaque over main entrance instribed 'Electric Lighting Station'. The original generating equipment was designed and installed by Colonel Compton, a pioneer in the field. The building was used for this purpose from 1888-1900.

Listed for its historical importance as one of the earliest surviving electricity generating stations.

Listing NGR: TQ2583179684

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/2148 IOE Records taken by Adam Watson; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Adam Watson. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Watson, Adam

Rights Holder: Watson, Adam

Keywords

Brick, Stone, Terracotta, Victorian Electricity Production Site, Industrial, Power Generation Site, Building, Unassigned