Gawthorpe West Lodge / Stockbridge Lodge

Date:
16 Jun 2002
Location:
Gawthorpe West Lodge, Burnley Road, Burnley, Lancashire, BB12 8SD
Show all locations
Stockbridge Lodge, Burnley Road, Burnley, Lancashire, BB12 8SD
Reference:
IOE01/07428/14
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SD 73 SE PADIHAM BURNLEY ROAD (north side)

3/28 Stockbridge Lodge 7.11.1975 - II

Lodge to the park of Gawthorpe Hall (q.v. under Ightenhill C.P.), originally known as Gawthorpe West Lodge, now a private house, c.1849-51, presumably by Sir Charles Barry who altered Gawthorpe Hall at that time. Sandstone ashlar with a slate roof. 3-bay rectangular plan with a canted bay window at the right-hand end, a square porch at the front and a square bay at the back.

Two storeys with a moulded string course on the ground floor and, on the first floor, a sill band and a cornice with a parapet of lozenge-shaped balusters (like those on the Hall) articulated by dies with obelisk-finials; the parapet breaks forward over the bay window. Windows of two lights with ovolo mullions. Chimney stacks with miniature clasping pilasters above each corner. Porch has an inset arch on imposts, and its parapet carries the Shuttleworth coat of arms with a finial above.

Listing NGR: SD7994233594

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1078 IOE Records taken by Peter Hyde; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Peter Hyde. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Hyde, Peter

Rights Holder: Hyde, Peter

Keywords

Ashlar, Sandstone, Slate, Victorian Lodge, Domestic, House, Monument (By Form), Dwelling, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument