Church Of St Martin Of Tours
- 17 Jul 2002
- Church Of St Martin Of Tours, The Street, Detling, Maidstone, Kent, ME14 3JT
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 75 NE DETLING THE STREET (north side)
5/141 Church of St. Martin 26.4.68 of Tours
Parish Church. C 1100 C 13 and C 15 restored in late C19. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel, north chapel, north aisle. West tower: in 2 stages. Galletted ragstone on plinth with diagonal buttresses. Shingled broach spire 1861 by R.C. Hussey. Single-light restored bell-chamber windows. Tall C19 3-light window over small arched Perpendicular west door, both with hood-moulds. Nave: early Norman. Flint with tufa quoins and plain tile roof. No plinth. 2-light Perpendicular window to right of porch. Porch: Perpendicular.
Ragstone with plain tile roof. Moulded outer doorway. 2-centred arched door into church with cusped niche over. Chancel: early Norman. Flint, with tufa quoins to south-west corner,plain tile roof, no plinth. 3-light Perpendicular south and east windows.
Roof partly overlaps that of nave. North Chapel: Perpendicular.
Ragstone, on plinth, plain tile roof and diagonal buttresses.
Independently roofed. Restored 2-light Perpendicular north window.
North aisle: Early English, enlarged in 1887. Flint, with most of west wall in ragstone, and plain tile roof. On plinth.
Roofed at higher level than chapel. 2-centred arched doorhead in west wall. Interior: 2-bay Early English arcade to aisle with wide plain arches springing from moulded imposts. Single-bay Perpendicular arcade between chapel and chancel. Original roof over chapel of common rafters with sous-laces and ashlar-pieces.
Rest C19, that to aisle with members forming smooth semi-circular barrel vault. Traces of early window in south wall of nave.
Fittings: Early, plain 12-sided stone font C20 base. Mid C14 wooden lectern, probably made for Boxley Abbey. 4 faces of head carved with pierced roundels, of quatrefoils, mouchettes and trefoils.
Corner-pieces delicately carved with small animals, vines and an angel. Borders of small flowers and faces. Tenon for statuette above, and panelled octagonal stem with large, intricately carved buttressed foot. One of the finest and oldest remaining in England. (J. Newman, North East and East Kent, 19) Monuments: on south wall of north aisle; part of monumental stone tomb slab with figure of priest carved in relief. On south wall of chancel; monument to Mary Foote, died 1778. Delicately carved Strawberry Hill Gothic. Low panelled tomb chest under triple ogee canopy.
Listing NGR: TQ7932458331
Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Royall. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Royall, Peter D.
Rights Holder: Royall, Peter D.
Flint, Tile, Tufaceous Limestone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative