- 19 Jun 2002
- Low Lighthouse, The Esplanade, Harwich, Tendring, Essex
- Low Lighthouse, Harwich Green, Harwich, Tendring, Essex
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TM2632SW THE ESPLANADE 609-1/3/107 Low Lighthouse 30/06/64 (Formerly Listed as: HARWICH GREEN Low Lighthouse)
Former lighthouse, now maritime museum. 1818. By John Rennie the Elder. For General Rebow. Yellow stock bricks with stone dressings now all white painted. Tapering 10-sided shaft with black painted stone 'tent' roof with cornice overhang and lotus finial. 3 adjoining faces to SE and back for light opening, but now faced with painted timber panels. Timber balcony all round with tubular metal handrail. Low pitched felt roof around base, part open on thin columns and part enclosed in C20 painted brickwork. Small windows with prominent hoodmoulds. Similar in detail to High Lighthouse but character changed as result of the painting of cladding materials.
Listing NGR: TM2628332328
Copyright IoE Mr Wilfred N. Winder. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Winder, Wilfred N.
Rights Holder: Winder, Wilfred N.
Brick, Felt, Stone, Timber, Georgian Lighthouse, Maritime, Navigation Aid, Communications, Signalling Structure, Museum, Education, Recreational, Art And Education Venue