This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL8507SW BUTT LANE 574-1/7/9 (East side) 24/09/71 Friends' Meeting House
Friends' meeting house. 1821. Red brick in Flemish bond with hipped slate roof. Rectangular plan of 4 bays with 2-bay front to road. EXTERIOR: 2-storey height, probably originally fully open, now floored over. Roof has projecting eaves. Pedimented porch with double-leaf doors in moulded architrave. Blind round-headed recesses to return walls with stone sills and finely gauged brick heads. Porch flanked by a pair of similar recesses and surmounted by oculus. Flank walls have tall 16-pane sashes with radial glazing to round heads. Low addition and various C20 inserted windows to north wall. INTERIOR: 2 principal rooms. Half-glazed double doors to outer room; vertically-panelled dado with wall bench to south; doorways to north giving access to added kitchen and upper floor. Central timber partition wall containing double-leaf half-glazed doors with margin glazing. Meeting room has similar dado, which ramps up behind the Elder's benches on the end wall; 2 tiers of high-backed benches with shaped seats on brackets, and further bench against wall; steps to upper tier with ramped handrail, stick balusters and column newels; wall benches to north and south and probably contemporary unfixed benches.
Listing NGR: TL8534507031
© Mr Michael James. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: James, Michael
Rights Holder: James, Michael
Brick, Slate, Georgian Friends Meeting House, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Meeting House, Place Of Worship