Church Of St George
- 31 May 2002
- Church Of St George, Badley Hall Road, Great Bromley, Tendring, Essex
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TM 02 NE GREAT BROMLEY BADLEY HALL ROAD
3/56 Church of St. George 17/11/66 GV I Parish church. Mainly C14 and C15. Chancel, Nave and South Aisle are early C14, North Aisle, Arcade and South Chapel mid Clswhen the south aisle was rebuilt. Circa 1500 West Tower, South Porch and Nave Clerestorey. C19 restorations including rebuilding of Chancel arch. Of mixed rubble and brick with limestone dressings. Clerestorey and South Porch of flint flushwork with crocketted ogee panels and similar plinth to South Chapel. Red tiled roofs.
Chancel. East window, 3 trefoiled lights, tracery over, moulded 2 centred arch, mainly C19 with C15 shafted splays. 2 C19 north windows of 2 cinquefoiled lights with centre transoms, 2 centred arch, moulded label and stops. North aisle. Angle and centre buttresses. C15 east window of 3 cinquefoiled and transomed lights, tracery over, 2 centre arch, moulded label and head stops. 2 similar windows to north wall. Late C15 north doorway, moulded jambs, 2 centred head, label with headstops, the 3 orders of moulding and label are carved with flowers. C16/C17 4 board door with moulded muntins and edging. West window similar to east window. Nave north clerestorey is crenellated with traceried panels and cross of St. George in flint flushwork. 7 windows of 2 trefoiled ogee lights, vertical tracery, 4 centred heads, moulded surrounds and labels.
Crenellated South Chapel and South Aisle. Moulded plinth of flint flushwork to Chapel. Angle and end buttress to Chapel. East window of 3 cusped ogee lights, tracery moulded segmental head and label. One C15 window each to Chapel and Aisle of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery, moulded segmental pointed heads and labels. C15 Chapel doorway, moulded jambs, 3 centred head and label.
Plank and muntin door. Nave south wall clerestorey as north wall. South doorway circa 1400 moulded jambs, 2 centred arch and label with headstops, all carved with running foliage. Set above the doorway are the sunk spandrels of a doorway with the carved figures of Adam and Eve. Double doors, each of 3 vertical panels with trefoils and sub-cusped heads and 3 tiers of tracery over, part of tracery lost. Pierced scutcheon plate. South porch. Of flint flushwork traceried panels, moulded plinth and gable parapet with crenellated finials. Crenellated north and south walls each with a window of 3 cusped ogee lights, tracery over, moulded jambs and labels. The angled buttresses have crenellated pinnacles raised above the gable parapet. Moulded band and coping to gable. Moulded band over doorway. Central niche above doorway with pinnacled triple buttressed jambs, and a traceried canopy with 3 side cinquefoiled head, crocketed and finialed spire. C20 figure of Madonna and Child. Scratch dial to left of archway. The 2 centred south doorway of 2 moulded orders, the outer continuous the inner resting on shafts with moulded capitals and bases, moulded square label, spandrels carved with figures of St.
George and the Dragon. Below the stops carved figures standing on the shafts, the left figure is now missing. Plastered vaulted roof. West tower. Late C15.
Crow stepped parapet with pinnacles at angles. Of 3 stages. The buttresses of square plan to first stage, developing into octagonal turrets and triple buttresses. Moulded stone plinth enriched with quatrefoils. Bands between stages. Said to be a shield of St. George to south west buttress, stair turret to this angle with small loops to west and south walls. To each face of bell chamber a transomed cinquefoiled 3 light window in 4 centred head and moulded label. Second stage, east wall blocked doorway to roof. A trefoiled light with square head and label to north, west and south walls. First stage. West window mainly C19/20 of 5 transomed cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery over, moulded 2 centre arched head, brick arch to apex. West doorway, moulded jambs, moulded 2 centred arch with carved square flowers, moulded square head and label, the stops carved with a griffon holding a scroll and an angel with a ?book. Spandrels carved with quatrefoiled circles and foliage, one circle enclosing the letters I.H.S. C15 door of 2 folds nailed and divided into vertical panels by moulded muntins, the upper half with ogee heads and transomed tracery over. Monument with side pilasters, open pediment and cill on brackets to south wall first stage. Interior. Chancel. Painted barrel vaulted roof with ribs and bosses. Stone floor. C19 stained glass to east window. North wall, moulded cornice with carved flowers, C15, possibly head of blocked recess.
Crenellated panelling to north wall. 1929 carved and traceried reredos. Moulded altar rails. Piscina, cinquefoiled 2 centre arched with chamfered jambs, blocked drain, said to be quatrefoiled. Sedilia. C15 partly restored of 2 bays with cinquefoiled 2 centred heads and central shaft with moulded capital and base, semi-octagonal responds. South wall C15 2 centred archway of 2 hollow chamfered orders, the inner resting on shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
C19 Chancel arch. Lean-to roof of South Chapel and South Aisle are continuous of 9 bays with moulded timbers and crenellated wall plates. Wall posts and 7 head corbels to south aisle. Moulded braces to tie beams. Foliate carved bosses. Brick floor.South Chapel. Piscina C14, trefoiled head with crocketed and finialed gable, frieze and cornice, side buttresses, octofoil drain. Drain of a Piscina found 1911 near Cold Hall, pointed octofoil. Niche to north of east wall window. 2 floor slabs with indents, one to Elizabeth Giels 1699? Floor slab with brass William Bischopton 1432, figure of priest in mass vestments with scroll, worn inscription and canopy. 3 other monuments in south chapel and 3 in Nave not visible at time of resurvey. Wall monument to William Hanson born September 1778, died aged 25 at Villa Franca, Catalonia fighting the French cavalry, kneeling soldier at foot of flag. South aisle. East end of north wall, lower 2 centre arched doorway and stairs to former rood loft.
Square head to south east doorway. Wall monuments to Henry Hanson 1796 and Letitia Sarah Mangls 1812. Brass wall plate reading "Of your charite pray for the soule of John Hubbarde whych deptyd ye first day of February MeVcXXXVII and for the soules also of Agnes Alys Rose and Elizabeth Wyffes of ye said John Hubbard and John Willm and John hys sonnes on whose soules JHU have mercy amen".
C17 chest with 3 carved and arcaded front panels. Communion table with turned legs and carved top rail circa 1650. South arcade, early C14 of 3 bays with 2 centred arches of 2 chamfered orders. The octagonal columns have restored moulded bases. The western capital is moulded and carved with grotesques, animals and heads, the eastern column and respond capitals carved with foliage.
East respond with attached shaft, west respond plain. North arcade of 3 bays, 2 centred arches of 2 chamfered orders, octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases, responds with attached half columns. North aisle. Brick floor.
Piscina. C15. Moulded jambs, cinquefoiled 2 centre arched head, blocked drain.
Small chair with re-used carved back and poppyheads. Floor slabs with indents.
Roof of 6 bays with moulded timbers. Nave. Chancel arch C19 2 centred arch, attached jamb shafts with moulded and foliate carved capitals and moulded bases.
Round headed niche to wall east of eastern respond of north arcade. C20 font, octagonal with cusped double ogee arches and foliate spandrels to 4 panels, single arches to other panels, moulded base. Carved, traceried and crocketed cover. Octagonal pulpit, oak traceried panels, stone base with carved quatrefoils. C20 box pews throughout. Very fine early C15 double hammerbeam roof of 7 bays. Moulded main timbers. Curved braces to collars and hammerbeams are crenellated. Spandrels of braces with carved foliage. Braces and wall post with crocketed and canopied niches in which are defaced figures. The stone corbels have carved cresting and are alternately carved with half-angels.
Moulded and crenellated wall plates with a band of traceried panelling enclosing shields, 3 of which bear the cross of St. George. A lower band of carving includings wings, crowns and flowers. Traces of painting to first pier, south arcade. West tower. 2 centred tower arch of 3 hollow chamfered orders, the inner resting on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. 2 centred doorway to stair turret, 2 board door with muntin and scutcheon plate. Lamp bracket to south wall. 2 memorial boards commemorating Peal Minors 5040 changes in 3 hours, 13 April 1907 and 5040 changes in 3 hours 5 minutes 25 October 1930.
Bell ringers hats,not visible at time of resurvey, hang high up in the tower, the earliest said to be 1716, perpetuating the custom of hanging the ringer's hat in the church when he died. Seven bells, the oldest cast at Sudbury 1717 and 'Old Tenor' of 1726. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TM0836026292
Copyright IoE Mr Bob Foster. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Foster, Bob
Rights Holder: Foster, Bob
Brick, Flint, Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Grave Slab, Grave Marker, Funerary Site, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument