This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
1. PETERBOROUGH 1500 PRECINCTS Bishop's Gate (Formerly listed as Abbot's Gate & ranges to East and West) TL 1998 NW 1/376 7.2.52. II GV 2.
Mainly built circa 1220 by Robert of Lindsay. Square turrets project at quoins, having crenellated parapets. 3 storey height. Each of the 2 turrets has a trefoil headed niche containing a statue of an abbot and prior, one of which may represent Godfrey of Crowland. Centre is gabled, containing a statue of King Edward, seated, above windows of 4 and 8 lights, strings between storeys. Centre archway has 4 orders of colonnettes with moulded capitals. Inside tyre archway, the main chamber has blank arcading and quadripartite vaulting. The room above the entrance, known as the Knights' Chamber, was formerly decorated with pictures of the knights who met there. The windows have been altered in Jacobean style.
Nos 24 to 28 (consec), Bishop's Gate, and King's Lodging form a group.
Listing NGR: TL1929298626