This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT BURNT OAK (South Side)
6/6 The Town House (Nos 1 to 3) (Formerly listed as Almshouses at the Road 22.2.55 junction, 40 yards East of King's Head Inn)
Burnt Oak Cottages on OS Map. Range of cottages. 3 builds. Early C16 range to Flatford Road, later C16 range to Main Road with probable C17 addition to right.
Later alterations. Timber-framed, rendered. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks.
2 storeys, L-plan. Flatford Road front: 4 1st floor windows. Two C20 doors, small- paned casements. Steeply-pitched hipped roof. To Main Road: 5 1st floor windows, irregularly spaced. Range to left is jettied to rear. Steeply-pitched roof. Range to right is slightly lower with lobby-entry plan with half-glazed door and further entrance in gabled porch to gable end. Interior: Flatford Road range: chamfered beams and exposed joists. No 2 shows jowled posts, cambered tie-beam. Unmoulded crown post with mortice for missing brace to collar purlin with splayed scarf.
Roof not fully inspected. In 1654 this building was bought by the Parish Overseers for housing paupers.
East Bergholt Society, East Bergholt 1981, Text J Elam.
Listing NGR: TM0779134344
This is part of the Series: IOE\Peachey_Simon IOE Records for Peachey, Simon; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Mr Simon Peachey. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Peachey, Simon
Rights Holder: Peachey, Simon
Brick, Render, Tile, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed House, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan Timber Framed Building, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Almshouse, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Residential Building