This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ59SE WEALD ROAD, South Weald 723-1/8/294 (North East side) 21/10/58 Queen Mary Chapel
Formerly known as: Queen Mary Chapel Weald Park. House. Mid-C16, 1857, C20. Red brick, peg-tiled roof. L-plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Front, SW elevation, 2 distinct blocks, (1) to SE, mid-C16, (2) to NW C19, in same style. (1) Tudor brickwork, ends defined by octagonal buttresses with three diminishing stages surmounted by octagonal pinnacles with moulded bases and crown shaped capitals. Gable ends have moulded copings with octagonal pinnacle at the apex, similar to those on buttresses. Ground floor, C19 door, framed and panelled, with linenfold decoration, simple flat hood above, C19 5-light casement with transoms and diamond leaded panes. String course above. First floor, C19 oriel window of 4 casements with transoms and one light on each return, with diamond leaded lights. (2) C19 work on smaller scale in similar style with buttresses and pinnacles, ground floor, 3-light casement with transoms and diamond leaded panes. NW elevation, `chancel' and C19 wing to NE with in-set single bay link between. `Chancel' ground-floor door with 4 flush panels under triangular door head and 3-light fixed window with 4-centre heads, diamond panes, both under common hood moulding. First floor, central 3-light casement with arched heads, hood-mould. Link bay, water head with date 1857 and ground floor lean-to porch, door framed and panelled under triangular head. Wing similar style as `chancel' but no corner buttresses - gables terminate on kneelers, apex pinnacles as rest. Ground floor, 2-light casement window, arched heads and lattice panes. C20 rectangular casement window with lattice panes and string course above. First floor, 2-light casement window as on ground floor. C20 single-storey additions continue to NE, not included in this listing. SE garden elevation. Gable wall of mid-C16 block is least altered, octagonal corner buttresses, gable with coping and pinnacles prominent, ground slopes away from plinth with moulded chamfer. Ground floor central original doorway and side windows with 4-centred heads, each in rectangular recesses and under common hood mould. C19 door frame and door with linenfold panelling, windows diamond leaded panes, were casements but now fixed. First floor, 7-light central window, hollow moulded mullions, arched heads under hood mould. To NE C19 elevation set back with gable end pinnacles, ground floor, 3 fixed windows with 2-centre heads, diamond lattice panes. Door with lower panes, upper glazing with glazing bars, 3x3 panes. First floor, 2 similar windows each with 2-light casements and diamond leaded panes. Deep, full length lean-to pentice roof supported by 2 granite piers with Corinthian capitals, C20 interlocking tiles. SW rear elevation, rear wall of phase (1) block has central crow-stepped stack, 2 diagonally set shafts, rebuilt. Ground floor (under pentice roof) C19 2-centre inserted window, lattice panes. First floor, on either side of stack, SE inserted 2-centre headed doorway with iron balcony, door with trefoiled light. NW of stack, inserted 3-light window, arched heads and diamond lattice panes, gable end of C19 wing, kneelers and pinnacle at apex. In internal angle of blocks, second water head, dated 1857. INTERIOR much refurbished - lower section of original buttress at NE angle of phase (1) block visible. Other evidence now removed or obscured including original fireplace openings. The building has been called `Princess Mary's Chapel' (RCHM) but was interpreted by the Commission as a lodge and not a chapel.
C19 additions have created a chapel shape, but the arrangement of 2 heated rooms in a building by the public road leading to the C16 Weald Hall (demolished 1950) suggests that the ascription as a lodge is correct. Queen Mary Chapel, the granary at Weald Park (qv) and the Lodge to Rochetts (qv) form a group. (RCHM: Central and SW Essex: 216).
Listing NGR: TQ5679994025