Church Of All Saints

Date:
21 Aug 2002
Location:
Church Of All Saints, Church Lane, Brentwood, Essex, CM13 1RX
Reference:
IOE01/07538/16
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BRENTWOOD

TQ69SW CHURCH LANE, Hutton 723-1/9/192 (South side) 21/10/58 Church of All Saints

II*

Church. Early C14, C17. Largely rebuilt in 1873 by GE Street. Walls of split flint with C14 clunch and C19 oolitic limestone dressings. Roofs both peg and clay tiles. Plan, rectangular aisled nave with smaller rectangular chancel, having organ chamber and chapel projecting N and S beyond nave aisles. Also meeting room, atttached to S chapel on S side. A small timber-framed belfry rises from the roof at the W end. EXTERIOR: N elevation, W-E, diagonal buttress to corner, C19 2-light window under square head with hood mould. Each light has a round head with enclosed ogee tracery, all cusped. Above, small belfry has 5 angled louvre boards framed round whole structure with weatherboarding below, small shingled octagonal spire swept out at base to belfry width. Principal doorway, C14 with 2-centred arch head, moulded jambs and label with head stops, one C14, defaced by weathering and one C19. Door, C19 with chamfered counter stepped joints between boards and decorative iron strap hinges, all in a style derived from Romanesque door construction. Timber-framed porch in front on flint dwarf walls - 4 lights to each side with ogee traceried heads - only some of these heads are original C14 work, all the rest of the porch is C19, having cambered tie-beams, 4-centred arched bracing and decorative barge boards. Buttress. Window similar to one at W end. Chancel, all C19 work with end buttresses, half height string course and central priest's doorway, round headed tympanum with trefoiled door head, door similar to N door of nave. Each side of doorway is a small quatrefoiled light set within T-shaped stone surround. Above, 2 round stone chimney shafts rise from roof pitch. E end of chancel inset with double string courses and diagonal buttress. S elevation, nave similar to N elevation but with no doorway. Chancel W end has projecting meeting room with roof set N-S abutting chancel chapel. Simple large 5-light mullioned rectangular window with small leaded panes and small lean-to projection on W side. Chancel recesses (as on N elevation) with window having 2 trefoiled lights with upper tracery quatrefoil within 2-centred arched label, diagonal buttress. E end elevation, gable of nave and aisles with diagonal corner buttresses, single central 2-light window under lancet head with hood mould, cusped elaborated ogee tracery - belfry as on N elevation, behind, to N, timber-framed door porch, to S, chancel chapel and meeting room with central door similar to those on N elevation, with, to N, 2-light window with ogee head, to S plain casement window with leaded panes. E elevation, central window, triple lights, 2-centred arched with male and female head stopped label. Tracery of geometrical style, string course at window base and diagonal corner buttresses. N and S chancel aisles each have a double lancet window with trefoil headed lights. To S plain side wall of meeting room with string course and angle buttress. INTERIOR: nave of 3 bays, clunch, quatrefoil C14 piers with moulded capitals and bases. Arcade arches, 2 centred with wave and chamfered moulding with slight hollow. Chancel arch similar. Nave roof of 2 bays (not aligned with arcade below) abutting tower frame at W end. Roof has crown posts of square section with fillet on each face that merge with well carved braces to collar purlin and soulaces. Ashlar pieces are set above moulded cornices. Central tie-beam carrying 4-way braced crown post is also decorated with cyma, return, hollow chamfer mouldings. Tower frame of 6 slender posts of approx 0.22 x 0.27m. 2 lines of 3 set on sole plates are aligned E-W within W arcade bay, much repaired, plates renewed. Upper X-bracing to sides. Posts are early C17 with lamb's tongue chamfer stops with characteristic decoration of extra nick beyond stop. X-bracing rather irregular and posts exhibit some waney edges on outer faces. E face has two 2-centred arched braces to tie-beam above. Rear braced queen posts support collar that now supports the earlier collar purlin (a reversal of correct assembly of collar to purlin of crown post systems). The extant belfry tower appears to have been inserted into an earlier system. Side aisle roofs have moulded cornices and ashlar pieces (probably copied from nave). N door has inner glazed C19 door porch. W window and E windows of aisles, N and S, have stained glass. C19 chancel, 2 bays, open on S side to chapel with central octagonal pier and arcade arches wave moulded with scroll moulded label with head stops. To E, double sedilia with trefoiled lancet heads, ogee cinquefoil headed piscina, drain set to front on attached pier. Chancel N side, arched recess for organ, to E, priest's door has 2-centred head with roll mouldings, scroll moulded label. Organ chamber and S chapel both have archways to the nave with heads similar and copied from nave arcade. Stained glass of Crucifixion in E window. Oak screen between S chapel and meeting room with open cusped lancets and lower panelling also door. 2 altar rails, wooden with wrought-iron scroll work supports, painted red and gold. Pulpit simple 3-cant, of open ironwork - slender round shafts with cinquefoil headed panels, sheet metal castellated lower band, painted red and gold on stone base. Font cylindrical, limestone bowl with large fossil crinoids, 4 inlaid white marble crosses, 4 column support from inscribed base. 5 bells, 2 inscribed, one of 1655 and one of 1637 (matching C17 belfry frame). Brasses (1) in S chapel on S wall, man in plate armour with woman in gabled head-dress, 8 sons and 8 daughters, early C16. (2) on W wall, inscription only to George White, 1584. Monument in S aisle on W wall to Thomas Cory, 1656 and Judith (Clitherow), his wife 1663. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Essex: 1965-: 246; RCHM: SE Essex: 77).

Listing NGR: TQ6352194340

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Batterbury_David IOE Records for Batterbury, David; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr David Batterbury. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Batterbury, David

Rights Holder: Batterbury, David

Keywords

Clay, Clunch, Flint, Oolitic Limestone, Tile, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument