- 4 Jul 2002
- Bridge House, 34 Bridge Street, Bungay, Waveney, Suffolk, NR35 1HD
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
924 BRIDGE STREET (East Side) ------------- No 34 (Bridge House) TM 3389 1/13 9.5.49.
C18 block to road frontage dated 1776. Late Cl6 with later modifications at rear. Occupied by Gregory Clarke in 1688 who was rebuilding it at the time of the great fire from which it was saved by the watchman. West portion 2 high storeys with 2 blank-window panels at each floor, with flat arches, and stone cills. Red brick. Cornice, below parapet with stone cope. Pantiles. Entrance front on return south. 3 windows, sash, with glazing bars, 6-panel door with arched patterned radial-bar fanlight, in case with panelled reveals, fluted Doric columns, triglyphs and dentil pediment. Interior: panelled room with enriched cornice, converted to Veterinary Surgeons dispensary, In room above, marble mantel attributed to John Adam with Ionic pilasters tapering downwards, Earlier portion at rear, 2 storey and attic, 3 dormers with segmental pediments. Brick, rendered. Tiles. 5 flush frame sash windows with glazing bars, and canted oriel. 4-panel central door in wood case with consoles. Second door, right, with 6 flush panels and pedimented hood. Chateaubriand resided here in 1795 when the house was occupied by Rev J Clement Ives.
Nos 2, 4, 6A, 12 to 20 (even), 24 to 34 (even) 40 to 44 (even), 48 and 50 form a group.
Listing NGR: TM3375289908
Copyright IoE Mr Neil Hartley. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Hartley, Neil
Rights Holder: Hartley, Neil
Brick, Pantile, Render, Tile, Tudor House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Dispensary, Health And Welfare, Surgery