- 6 Sep 2002
- Bovill's Hall, Station Road, Ardleigh, Tendring, Essex, CO7 7RT
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ARDLEIGH STATION ROAD TM 02 NE
6/52 Bovill's Hall
House. C15 or earlier origin with C18 and C19 alterations and extensions. The original build timber framed, painted brick faced. Hipped grey slate roofs. 2 rear chimney stacks to front range. C18/C19 rear ranges of similar materials.
2 storeys and cellars. Of 3 bays with end and 2 central pilasters. 3 first floor round headed double casements in square surrounds with shutters, similar windows to returns. Ground floor. Right and left French windows, gauged brick arches and shutters. Angled bay with glazed margins to left return. Central moulded flat canopy supported by circular columns, moulded capitals. Moulded surround, brackets, moulded dentilled cornice, panelled door with round headed double lights. Interior features include exposed timber studs to left front room, chamfered bridging joist and flat section ceiling beams. C19 panelled rear room with moulded cornice. 6 panelled doors with moulded surrounds. Rear dairy with flagstone floor, vertically boarded doors and chamfered bridging joists, servants stairs from this room. Large cellars, brick pier supports.
One of the 4 manors of Ardleigh. Sandford Lambe was Lord of the Manor in 1796.
F.H. Erith "Ardleigh in 1796", 1978. RCHM 8.
Listing NGR: TM0538928795
Copyright IoE Mr Kelvin Cuffy. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Cuffy, Kelvin
Rights Holder: Cuffy, Kelvin
Brick, Slate, Timber, Medieval Manor House, Tudor Domestic, House, Dwelling, Timber Framed House, Monument <By Form>, Timber Framed Building, Dairy, Agriculture And Subsistence, Food And Drink Processing Site, Agricultural Building