- 22 Jul 2002
- Bridge House, Brockford Street, Wetheringsett Cum Brockford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14 5PD
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD BROCKFORD STREET (east TM 16 NW side) 6/108 Bridge House 29.7.55
GV II House. Known to have been an inn in C16, and a farmhouse from C17 to mid C19.
In 3 main sections: (i) an early C16 2-cell range to south; (ii) a mid C16 in- line addition to north; (iii) a mid C16 wing to rear (east) of earlier work.
A fragment of a further C16 range at the rear, reduced in length c.1948 and now corner-to-corner with the rear wing. Timber framed and plastered. South range has a plaintiled roof, hipped to the south; north range is pantiled to front and slated to rear; rear range is plaintiled to south and glazed black pantiled to north. 2 storeys, former attic in north range. Continuous jetty to road, a small section underbuilt; north range has moulded bressumer. C20 casement windows of various sizes, all with squared-leaded glass. South range has a small late C19 ground floor canted bay with sash windows. At north end of front, a door with 6 flush panels; large overlight. Fine stack at south end of north range has 3 circular shafts decorated with Fleur-de-lys and saltires, on moulded bases. A similar stack in the rear wing has 2 of the shafts rebuilt in plain form, the original moulded bases surviving; the third shaft has Fleur-de-lys motifs. Interior. South range comprises hall and service cells. Hall ceiling has heavy chamfered cross beams, originally knee- braced to the wallposts. Plain joists in service end, originally 2 rooms; partition wall with hall removed. On upper floor, front wall has tension braces and 2 oriel window sills. In rear wall, 2 adjacent C16 doorways, one original; one doorway may have led into a gallery associated with use as an inn. Framing in south gable end shows evidence for a doorway which probably led into a garderobe. Later upper ceilings and replacement tie beams; roof reconstructed. North range of high quality: a little heavy close studding visible on upper floor, the timbers otherwise largely concealed. High upper ceilings. Roof has one row of clasped purlins, 2-way arched wind bracing and evidence for 2 original dormers in rear slope. Rear wing in 4 bays. Good studding with evidence for diamond-mullioned windows, one on upper floor intact. Forwardmost bay has close studding and chamfered-joist ceiling.
Former smoke bay adjacent has inserted stack and inserted ceiling with irregularly-chamfered joists set flat. At rear, a 2-bay room with plain ceiling joists. Well stair of c.1800 in rear wing has stick balusters and shaped tread-ends. 2 upper fireplaces have duck's nest grates of similar date.
Listing NGR: TM1181366908
Copyright IoE Mr John Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Cooper, John
Rights Holder: Cooper, John
Pantile, Plaster, Slate, Tile, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed Building, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan Inn, Commercial, Domestic, Residential Building, Farmhouse, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building