Church Of St Mary
- 18 Apr 2003
- Church Of St Mary, Church Road, Cholsey, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10 9PR
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CHOLSEY CHURCH ROAD SU58NE, SU5886 (West side) 2/69, 8/69 Church of St. Mary 14/06/63 GV I
Church. C11 tower; C12 nave, chancel nd transepts; mid C13 extension to chancel; late C14 rebuilding of tower above roof level and end wall of south transept; C15 extension to nave; c.1849 nave re-roofed; c.1877 north wall of north transept rebuilt, and 2 windows inserted to chancel. Flint and stone with stone dressings, nave rendered; slate roof to nave; recent plain-tile roofs to transepts and chancel; roof to tower not visible. Cruciform plan with central tower. Paired plank doors to Romanesque doorway to centre of nave with columns and carved capitals supporting zig-zag moulded arch. Blocked Romanesque lancet to left of centre. C19 three-light windows of Reticulated tracery, 2-centred arched heads, hood moulds and carved end stops to left and right. 2-centre arched doorway with ribbed and studded door to tower stair turret at angle between nave and south transept. Romanesque lancet to left return of south transept. C19 Romanesque lancet to right return of south transept. 3-light window to end of south transept. Perpendicular tracery with carved faces to end stops of hood mould. Two C19 lancets to left of chancel with carved heads to ends of hood moulds. 2-centre arched doorway with studded plank door to left of centre. 3 lancets to right of chancel. 3-light window with Geometrical tracery to east end. Rear of chancel: 3 lancets to left, round-topped Romanesque window to right. 3-light window with Reticulated tracery to end of north tansept.
Romanesque lancet to right return of north transept. Rear of nave: 2-centred arched blocked doorway to centre. C19 three-light windows to left and right of Reticulated tracery with 2-centred arched heads with hood moulds and carved end stops. 3-light window to west end of Perpendicular tracery with segmental head.
Tower: 2-light louvred openings of Reticulated tracery to each side. Paired trefoil lancet to west side. Battlemented top to towers. Interior: sedilia to right of chancel. Crossing: Romanesque arches, those to nave and chancel on half-columns with carved capitals. Some medieval tiles to floor of south transept.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol. III, 1923, p.299-301; Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.115-116).
Listing NGR: SU5837787004
Copyright IoE Mrs Pauline A. Jorgensen. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Jorgensen, Pauline A.
Rights Holder: Jorgensen, Pauline A.
Flint, Render, Slate, Stone, Tile, Early Medieval Church, Medieval Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship