This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST HELENS STREET (SOUTH SIDE)
5379 No 98, Moyes Butchers
TM 1744 8/470
Shop formerly house. Circa 1600. Timber framed, cased in brick, asbestos tile roofs. 2 cell lobby entry plan with additional shop entrance to right. 2 storeys.
Central door of 6 fielded panels, the upper four raised, moulded architrave with simple frieze and shallow canopy. To left, 2 pane window in moulded frame, in altered opening, to right shop front with C20 door between plate glass windows. Fascia board above. 1st floor brick band, moulded eaves band . 2 first floor C20 2-light windows in moulded frames, central picture of bull. Axial stack of C19 brickwork. Interior: ground floor shop tiled over, left hand room massive chamfered cross beam and part of cornice. Stairs behind stack, clasped purlin roof with windbraces, largely intact to left, altered to right. Shaft of stack in roofspace is C19.
Listing NGR: TM1707544510
© Mr Maxwell Newport. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Newport, Maxwell
Rights Holder: Newport, Maxwell
Asbestos, Brick, Timber, Tudor Timber Framed House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Stuart Timber Framed Building, Jacobean House, Domestic, Dwelling, Butchers Shop, Commercial, Shop
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.