Church Of St Mary

Date:
11 Jun 2002
Location:
Church Of St Mary, Holy Island, Berwick Upon Tweed, Northumberland
Reference:
IOE01/07658/08
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

NU 1241 HOLY ISLAND

12/18 Church of St. Mary 22/12/69

GV I

Parish Church. C12 and C13 incorporating earlier masonry. Bellcote C18. Random rubble nave, chancel dressed stone, bellcote ashlar. Lakeland slate roof. Nave, aisle, chancel, south porch and north vestry.

West end of nave has large C19 lancet flanked by giant offset buttresses which join above to form an arch. Above this the C18 bellcote with keyed round-arched openings and stone pyramid roof. Smaller buttresses to aisles.

4-bay nave with Victorian south porch. Victorian lancets and one large blocked window. Buttresses between. North side of nave has old vestry to right and 2 windows with Y-tracery. North aisle east window is 3-light.

Chancel south side has blocked priest's door and small low side lancet. 3 lancets with continuous hoodmoulds. East end has 3 stepped lancets with hoodmoulds, buttresses between. 2 lancets and low side window on north side.

Gabled roof with flat coping and cross finials. Vane on bellcote. Aisle roofs low-pitched with parapets.

Interior has C13 south door with continuous chamfer. 4-bay arcades. North arcade of c.1200 with round piers and capitals. 3 chamfered round arches with banded pink and white voussoirs; west bay is pointed arch, a C13 extension.

South arcade has hollow-chamfered pointed arches and octagonal piers. Double chamfered C13 chancel arch. Remains of Saxon chancel arch visible above; also Saxon masonry. Trefoiled piscina in south aisle. Large medieval grave cover set in chancel north wall. East window by Mayer of Munich, chancel south window by Atkinson. Hatchments with arms of Selby, Haggerston and Askew families in chancel.

Victorian oil lamps on brackets in chancel. Large C18 baluster font. Painted wood memorial to Jane Moffitt 1797 in south aisle.

Listing NGR: NU1256441775

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Robinson_Kenneth IOE Records for Robinson, Kenneth; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth Robinson. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Robinson, Kenneth

Rights Holder: Robinson, Kenneth

Keywords

Ashlar, Lake District Slate, Rubble, Stone, Early Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Grave Slab, Grave Marker, Funerary Site, Parish Church, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative