- 8 Aug 2002
- Rownhams House, Horns Drove, Nursling And Rownhams, Test Valley, Hampshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NURSLING AND ROWNHAMS
SU31NE HORNS DROVE, Rownhams
1765-0/7/10005 Rownhams House
Country house, partly used as offices. Circa 1760-2, for Robert Barton; extended circa late C19 and remodelled and extended early C2O and 1926. Red brick in Flemish bond with some blue brick headers. Roof concealed behind parapet; Brick axial stacks. PLAN; Large almost square, rectangular plan house facing wes1:, extended in early C20 on east by single-storey extension, on which a second storey was added in 1926. The service Wings on the north side are probably C19 additions. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 2:1:1 bay west front with brick giant pilasters rising up to the coping of the parapet, the advanced centre and ground floor bay to left appear to be early C20 alterations, central doorway with arched canopy, fanlight above, flanking sidelights and Venetian. window above; 12-pane sashes to right and left, ground floor right glazing bars missing and on left larger 15-pane sashes in bay; all with gauged brick flat arches; similar arches to blind panels above first floor windows. South garden front: Similar blind panels and giant pilasters, 4;2 bays, right-hand 2 bays an early C2.0 single-storey and attic addition with a Venetian window, heightened in 1926. East elevation has extension projecting on left with Venetian ground floor window and 4 bays to right, partly 3 storeys with various sashes with glazing bars; lower wing on right refaced in circa early C20 with wall with large blind arch to match stables [qv]. INTERIOR; Although remodelled in the C20 there is some C18 joinery surviving. The staircase seems to be an early C20 reconstruction of an C18 stair and has turned balusters and handrails ramped up to column newels. Drawing room and library have modillion cornices, apparently later friezes and plaster will panels, moulded doorcases with overdoors and veneered panelled doors and inlaid border continuing around the floor through the later partition between the two rooms; the library has fine set of Edwardian glazed bookcases and Corinthian columns to the chimneypiece. Former kitchen has large cast-iron range. SOURCE; Buildings of England, page 493.
Listing NGR: SU3710616922
Copyright IoE Mr G. Jim Love. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Love, G. Jim
Rights Holder: Love, G. Jim
Brick, Georgian Counting House, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Office, Unassigned, Building