Church Of Saint Michael
- 15 Feb 2003
- Church Of Saint Michael, Stinsford, West Dorset, Dorset
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STINSFORD SY 79 SW
8/121 Church of Saint Michael
Anglican Parish Church. C13 origin, tower C14, south aisle C15, north aisle C17. Restored, end vestry added in C19. Rubble stone walls, chancel and nave roofs slated, vestry stone slated, all with coped gables. Flat roofs with parapets to aisles. Nave, north and south aisles of 2 bays, chancel with vestry on north, west tower. Tower of 2 stages, with diagonal buttresses at base. Plain parapet, string courses at parapet base and junction of 2 stages. Plain rectangular belfry lights. West door with moulded pointed arch; shallow square recess left of this. Above door, to right, carved stone figure of Saint Michael, probably Saxon. South aisle has battlemented parapet. Moulded string course below, with carved gargoyles. Two 3-light square headed windows with Perpendicular tracery.
Pointed arched east window, with Perpendicular tracery. South wall of chancel has blocked doorway. Small lancet at west end. Two 2-light pointed arched windows with Perpendicular tracery. East window, C19, with Perpendicular tracery. North wall has pointed arched window with Perpendicular tracery. In north vestry wall a 2-light square header window with cusped lights. North aisle has plain parapet. Two 3-light square headed windows with Perpendicular tracery. Internally: walls plastered.
Chancel has a waggon roof, unplastered, with deep plaster moulded cornice.
Chancel arch, C13, with continuous deep roll mouldings, - no shafts or capitals. South of the arch a passage to the nave, and small lancet, lighting former rood stair. South arcade, C13, has moulded round arches, and piers with attached shafts with stiff leaf caps. Trefoiled piscina in aisle. North arcade, originally C13, with similar arches, but piers rebuilt or altered clumsily in C19. On north aisle wall, monument to Audeley and Margaret Grey, 1723, with Corinthian pilasters supporting entablature and crest. On west wall of aisle, monument to George Pitt, 1784, surmounted by carved bust. Late medieval stained glass in aisle windows. Tower arch, C14, has shafts with moulded caps. Nave roof, C19, arch braced. C12 square font with arcaded bowl. The "Mellstock Church" of Thomas Hardy's novels.
(RCHM Monument 1 Dorset Vol II)
Listing NGR: SY7113690993
Copyright IoE Mrs Claire Onions. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Onions, Claire
Rights Holder: Onions, Claire
Rubble, Slate, Stone, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Anglican Church, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative