This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ALRESFORD OFF FORD LANE TM 02 SE (east side) 3/4 ALRESFORD PARK
21.2.50 The Quarters (formerly listed as Alresford Hall Quarters Cottage with Dovecote)
Formerly a chinoiserie fishing lodge or lakeside summer house. Circa 1772 by Richard Wood, converted to a house circa 1951 with an added gable to north.
Probably of brick, rough rendered. Grey slate double range roofs to left gables, copper felt to central single storey and right dome. The left ranges with moulded bargeboards to gables. The 2 north gabled bays of 2 storeys, single storey centre range and square plan lakeside range, this with octagonal interior. 2 window range to entrance face (north) of small paned vertically sliding sashes, central 6 panelled door, moulded surround, flat canopy. West face 2 ground floor Chinese keyhole small paned vertically sliding sashes, moulded surrounds. 4 first floor small paned casements to left double gables.
The central range with open porch supported by 2 stone fluted columns, left small paned vertically sliding sash window, right half glazed door. The right square plan range has octagonal inner walls, keyhole windows to west, south and east faces, concave broaching to concave octagonal dome of 2 stages. Weathervane finial. Trellised verandah with concave hipped roof to lakeside (south) face.
Similar features to east face. Interior, the octagonal walls of the dome with alternate windows and tall niches. Moulded dados, wainscots and ceiling cornices. 6 panelled doors with brass furniture and moulded architraves to all rooms. Chamfered bridging joists to central and left ranges, these with similar doors, dados, cornices etc., as dome. Name derived from reputation that Cromwellian troops were quartered in the grounds. A painting by Constable circa 1816, now said to hang in Melbourne, Australia. N. Scarfe Shell Guide to Essex 1975. Lucinda Lambton Beastly Buildings, 1985.
Listing NGR: TM0721520124