Church Of St Andrew

Date:
8 Aug 2002
Location:
Church Of St Andrew, Oddington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire
Reference:
IOE01/07849/11
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ODDINGTON SP51SE 7/126 Church of St. Andrew 07/12/66 GV II* Church, C13, C14/C15, restored and altered 1889 by E.G. Brutons Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain-tile roof. Chancel, nave, north aisle, north chapel, south porch and west tower. Chancel is mostly C14/C15 and has a square headed 2-light C15 window with Perpendicular tracery in the south wall, taken from the north wall to replace a similar window of which the tracery survives inside the church; 3-light Perpendicular-style east window is C19. Chapel, to north, is C19 but is on earlier foundations. Grouped lancets in the nave and the north aisle are C19 but parts of the walls are medieval; western lancet of aisle is C13. Porch is partly medieval and has an outer arch with continuous mouldings, and shelters a C13 doorway with a roll-moulded arch and a pair of detached shafts. 2-stage C13 tower has a cusped-lancet west window and, at bell-chamber stage, paired lancet openings below arched hood moulds; tiled pyramidal roof. Interior: chancel has a small C14 cusped piscina and an aumbry.

Chancel arch, chapel arch and most of the 3-bay nave arcade are C19, but the westernmost arch and parts of its respond and pier contain stones, discovered during alterations, bearing traces of medieval painting. The small arch from the north aisle to the north chapel is medieval. Simple unchamfered C13 tower arch.

Chancel and nave have C19 crown post roofs. Fittings include a communion table of 1637, some C16/C17 bench pews plus C19 copies, a panelled oak pulpit dated 1617, and a C17 oak chest. A brass of c.1500 shows Ralph Hamsterley, Rector 1499-1508, in a worm-infested shroud. The plain tub font retains a medieval staple and has a fine Arts and Crafts cover of 1920. An ancient pole ladder stands below the tower. During the incumbency of Dr. S.H. Scott (1915-49) the church was equipped with Flemish brass chandeliers and numerous copies of Italian paintings, plus many other fine furnishings and some stained glass.

(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.284; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.730; Oxoniensia, Vol.40, pp.328-9; "0ddington Church" (guidebook), 1977).

Listing NGR: SP5526014801

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0165 IOE Records taken by Sean Bergin; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Sean Bergin. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Bergin, Sean

Rights Holder: Bergin, Sean

Keywords

Ashlar, Limestone, Rubble, Tile, Timber, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument