This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
In the entry for
BRADING HIGH STREET SZ 60 88 1352-0/6/82 46 (even) Part of Osborne 18/01/67 Smith's Wax Museum (formerly listed as: part of 1-2 The Old Cottage part of Kings Towne Museum) GV II*
The grade and the description shall be amended to read
SZ 60 88 BRADING HIGH STREET 1352-0/6/82 46 (even) Part of Osborne 18/01/67 Smith's Wax Museum (formerly listed as: part of 1-2 The Old Cottage part of Kings Towne Museum) GV II
House, later subdivided, now part of wax museum. C16; restored C20. Close-studded timber frame with herringbone brick nogging (now painted); stone rubble at rear. Thatched 2-span roof with gabled front and back. Large C20 stone rubble lateral stack on left side.
PLAN: Rectangular plan with large ground floor room heated from restored stack on left side and with 2 chambers above, open to the roof, jettied out at front. Originally there may have been service rooms at the back. The bay set back on the right (W) is a C20 rebuilding of a later extension and the gables, the close- studding on the ground floor and the large stack on the left (E) side are all the result of a 1960s restoration.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 2-gabled bays jettied out on first floor on moulded bressumer on brackets and with moulded mid-rail above; close-studding; tension braces on left and right returns. The gables on brackets are C20. C20 4-light mullion - transom ground floor windows and 3-light first windows with leaded panes and shutters. C20 arched doorway to right of centre. Set back on right rebuilt extension with glazed ground floor and oriel above.
Left-hand (E) return large C20 stone rubble stack with set-offs.
Stone rubble at rear with rebuilt gables and C20 stairs to gallery under pentice.
INTERIOR; Ground floor left moulded bridging beam, moulded joints and C20 fireplace with timber bressumer. Two 2-bay roofs over chambers above, each with chamfered arch brace truss, the braces corbelled at feet, the principals with renewed threaded purlins and curved wind-braces.
NOTE: Said originally to have been the rectory which became the town house of the oglander family, and later an inn, called The Crown in the C17. Also said to be situated on an ancient site with traces of Anglo-Saxon occupation. The skeleton exhumed here is thought to be the remains of Louis de Rochefort the French spy murdered in 1640 when it was The Crown Inn. Reputedly the only close-studded town house on the Isle of Wight.
BRADING SZ6088 HIGH STREET 1352-0/6/82 46 (Even) 18/01/67 Part of Osborne Smith's Wax Museum Formerly Listed as: part of 1-2 The Old Cottage part of Kings Towne Museum GV II*
Wax museum, originally rectory then town house of Oglander family, Inn, called Crown in C17, later 2 cottages. Early C16 restored C20. Timber-framed building, the front close-studded with midrails and herringbone brick infill now colourwashed, the side and rear elevations stone rubble. Thatched roof.
External stepped stone chimney stack to left-hand side. 2 storeys and attics 2 bays with 2 overhanging gables on brackets and further 1 bay set back. 1st floor has two 3-light mullioned windows with leaded lights, the right-hand having original wooden mullions. Roll-moulded bressumer between floors. Ground floor has two 4-light mullioned windows with leaded lights and pilasters with carved tops. Doorcase has spandrels and 2 centred arch with mouldings. To right hand 1st floor square wooden mullions. Ground floor has cambered former carriage entrance, now glazed. Ground floor left side room has early C16 roll-moulded spine beam and joists. Wooden bressumer and herringbone brick to fireplace and fireback. Flagstones.
Exposed close-studding with diagonal braces. Roof has upper cruck construction with collar beam and some arched tension braces, no ridge piece and through purlins. An ancient site with traces of Anglo Saxon occupation. In 1640 when the building was the Crown Inn French spy Louis de Rochefort was murdered here. The only close-studded town house on the Isle of Wight. Modern extension to rear including Chamber of Horrors not of special interest
Listing NGR: SZ6064687283
This is part of the Series: IOE01/0117 IOE Records taken by Derek Barrett; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
© Mr Derek Barrett. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Barrett, Derek
Rights Holder: Barrett, Derek
Brick, Rubble, Stone, Thatch, Timber, Medieval Jettied House, Tudor Monument (By Form), Elizabethan Jettied Building, Timber Framed Building, Timber Framed House, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Inn, Commercial, Residential Building, Town House, Vicarage, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, Museum, Education, Recreational, Art And Education Venue