This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
PONTEFRACT MARKET PLACE SE 4521 NE (north-west side) 8/46 Market Hall 29.7.50 GV II
Market hall. Frontage 1859-60, designed by Joseph Wilson; hall etc c1960. Dressed ashlar front with brick to rear, C20 part-glazed metal roof. Roughly 3-storey height, 3 bays with wider taller central bay. Side bays have tall stepped Corinthian pilasters on deep vermiculated bases with moulded plinths and cornices to outer corners. Paired Corinthian, columns on similar bases flanking central bay.
Elaborate entablature over, with pulvinated frieze and moulded modillion cornice, which projects over the pilasters and columns. Within this surround all the bays have rusticated stonework and each has a tall semi-circular-headed opening, that to centre set in slightly recessed stonework. Side bays have C20 doors to the base of these openings and rendered panels above. Central bay has similar doors with large glazed window above. Each opening has radiating voussoirs and carved keystone, that to left with brace of game birds, that to right with a dead hog and that to centre with massive bull's head with a ring through its nose. Above the entablature side bays have plain blocking course, remains of former balustrade to left side.
Central bay has tall parapet with large semi-circular moulded arch and massive bull's head keystone; deeply recessed panel within, decorated with Borough arms.
Interior, all c1960 and not of special interest. The original 1860 building was opened by Lord Palmerston.
Listing NGR: SE4559821930
© Mr Peter Briggs. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Briggs, Peter
Rights Holder: Briggs, Peter
Ashlar, Brick, Metal, Victorian Market Hall, Commercial, Market