This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS826000 HIGH STREET 672-1/5/57 (South side) 11/10/72 Nos.18 & 18A
2 shops with accommodation over. Probably late C18; c.1900 shopfronts. Stuccoed with a slate roof, the roof of No 18A replaced with corrugated asbestos to rear of the ridge; stack with rendered shafts. Plan: U-plan, with central passageway to narrow rear court flanked by rear wings. Exterior: 3 storeys. Symmetrical 4-bay front. Roof with deep eaves and paired brackets. Left and right pilasters with moulded sunk panels. Platband at second floor level. First floor windows with keyblocks glazed with early C19 12-pane sashes; second floor windows glazed with early C19 3/6-pane sashes. The ground floor front is single-phase. Pilasters to left and right and flanking the central passageway have 2 tiers of sunk panels with faceted decoration between to No 18A, slightly plainer to No 18. Both have pairs of elaborately moulded consoles with gables and a moulded cornice above the fascia. Massive 5-panel door to the central passageway, richly panelled with a drop latch and closing into a recess in the passage wall. Identical shop fronts: modern fascia board to No 18 partly conceals the cornice moulding. Each shop has windows with moulded frames and rounded upper corners canted into a glazed central door with a low panel and overlight: rounded upper corners to door pane and overlight. The shop windows were originally both 2-pane to the front, one to the return; No 18A has had the centre, slender mullion removed. No 18 has pretty encaustic tiles in front of the door. Through the passageway the right return of No 18 has a C19 4-panel door with an overlight and panelled reveals. Various rear additions, but that nearest the shop probably circa mid C19 with a first floor canted bay window and 2 ground floor 12-pane sashes. The rear of No 18a has a cob rear wing with a pantile roof, possibly pre-dating the 1743 fire of Crediton. Interior: Ground floors only inspected, altered for shop use but features of interest may survive on the upper floors. The narrow rear court is a good surviving example, once typical of the south side of High Street.
Listing NGR: SS8317700298
© Mr Peter Funnell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Funnell, Peter
Rights Holder: Funnell, Peter
Asbestos, Cob, Pantile, Slate, Stucco, Georgian House, Monument (By Form), Domestic, Dwelling, Shop, Commercial, Building, Unassigned