Hurstbow Bridge And The Wing Walls

Date:
19 Feb 2003
Location:
Hurstbow Bridge And The Wing Walls, Martock, South Somerset, Somerset, TA12 6JU
Reference:
IOE01/10263/09
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

Hurstbow Bridge etc, Hurst 15/270 10/270

------------------------------------

Hurstbow Bridge etc, Hurst 15/270 10/270

------------------------------------ ST4518 MARTOCK CP HURST

15/270 Hurstbow Bridge and the wing walls

-

GV II

Road bridge over Hurst Brook. Rebuilt 1848 to designs of Richard Carver by George Pearse, local mason, using cast iron members by Murch of Bridgwater. Ham stone and cast iron. Segmental arched cast iron ribs over single span, decorated and with "March 1848" cast on outer faces; plain cast handrails above; ashlar wing walls, on the curve, to all 4 corners, with pyramidal caps to the piers abutting the bridge and circular curls at outer ends, the north east wing longer than the remainder. Total cost of bridge and walls two hundred pounds. (D. J. Greenfield: The County Bridge Papers: Article pp 27-30, Somerset Industrial Archaeological Journal No. 2, I977).



Listing NGR: ST4581718940

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0002 IOE Records taken by Terry Abbiss; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Terry Abbiss. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Abbiss, Terry

Rights Holder: Abbiss, Terry

Keywords

Ashlar, Cast Iron, Ham Hill Stone, Victorian Road Bridge, Transport, Road Transport Site, Bridge