Ball Court / Fives Tower / Fives Court

Date:
16 Jun 2003
Location:
Ball Court, High Street, Milborne Port, South Somerset, Somerset, DT9 5AG
Show all locations
Fives Tower, High Street, Milborne Port, South Somerset, Somerset, DT9 5AG
Fives Court, High Street, Milborne Port, South Somerset, Somerset, DT9 5AG
Reference:
IOE01/10350/17
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ST6718 MILBORNE PORT CP HIGH STREET (South side)

12/140 Ball Court (Fives Tower) (previously listed as Fives Court)

24.3.61

GV II

Ball Court/Fives Tower. Dated 1847. Local stone, one bay rubble coursed, one bay ashlar. Lias stone plinth, stepped pitched copings to walls which are 6 metres high; stepped buttresses of about 4 metres projection at base, dividing wall into bays of C6 metres. Set into the West gable of the house at the Nothern end is a stone plaque inscribed "The Ball Court Built by Sir Richard Medlycotte, Bt, in the year 1847. It is earnestly hoped that this court which is meant for the health and amusement of the town will be protected from injury".

Listing NGR: ST6767218617

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1553 IOE Records taken by Murray Pearson; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Murray Pearson. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Pearson, Murray

Rights Holder: Pearson, Murray

Keywords

Ashlar, Lias, Rubble, Victorian Fives Court, Recreational, Ball Sports Site, Sports Site