This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SE44NW THORP ARCH WOOD LANE LS23 (east side, off)
2/130 Railway bridge approx.
525 metres south-east of Walton Gates
Railway bridge. 1847. For the York and North Midland Railway Company.
Rock-faced gritstone, brick soffits. Treble-span, skew-arched bridge accommodating field track over disused railway cutting. Segmental arches having voussoirs aligned with courses spring from piers with impost bands.
End piers, set forward, are linked by a nosed ashlar band beneath more deeply coursed parapet with weathered ashlar copings. Unaltered and original to the Church Fenton-Spofforth line opened on 10th August 1847 and linked to Harrogate the following year.
R. Unwin,Wetherby, 1986, p.101.
Listing NGR: SE4332747292
© Mr Geoffrey R. Handford. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Handford, Geoffrey R.
Rights Holder: Handford, Geoffrey R.
Brick, Gritstone (Sandstone), Victorian Railway Bridge, Transport, Railway Transport Site, Bridge