North West And South West Boundary Walls To The Former United Reform Church

Date:
20 Mar 2003
Location:
North West And South West Boundary Walls To The Former United Reform Church, St James's Street, South Petherton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA13 5BS
Reference:
IOE01/10426/11
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SOUTH PETHERTON CP ST JAMES STREET (East and) ST4316 7/151 North-west and south-west boundary wall to the former United Reform Church

GV II

Boundary wall and gates. 1863. Ham stone, cut, squared and boasted, ashlar dressings. Walling averages one metre height, with angled ashlar copings, and at about 2 metre intervals are piers with ashlar quoins and stepped pyramidal tops, nearly 2 metres high: cast-iron gates with fleur-de-lys heads near angle, opposite west door of the former church (q.v.), with simple wrought-iron overthrow for lamp, giving access to flight of 9 steps up to door; north of this a recess for a seat, and at east end of northwest wall a matching gateway opposite the church extension: the whole adds to the setting of the church and to the street scene generally, dominating the east end of St James's Street.

Listing NGR: ST4340416868

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1917 IOE Records taken by John H Sparkes; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr John H. Sparkes. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Sparkes, John H.

Rights Holder: Sparkes, John H.

Keywords

Ashlar, Cast Iron, Ham Hill Stone, Victorian Gate, Unassigned, Boundary Wall, Monument <By Form>, Wall, Barrier, Boundary