This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STOUGHTON STANSTED SU 70 NE 6/294B The North Lodge of Stansted House (Formerly listed as 5.6.58 Middle Lodge, Stansted Park)
Built by Thomas Hopper in 1840. 2 storeys. 3 windows facing south, 2 win- dows facing east and west. Faced with Roman cement. Hipped slate roof.
Each window bay is flanked by twin pilasters supporting the cornice and parapet. In the centre is a heavy portico of 4 Doric columns with pediment.
The windows on the east and west sides are flanked by pilasters forming round-headed arcading over the first floor windows. On the west side is a plaque recording 'The new plantation of this avenue was commenced on the last day of the reign of His Majesty George III of blessed memory Saturday January 29 1820. J Holden Sculpt'. The avenue in question leads west through Stansted Forest from the house to Rowlands Castle.
Listing NGR: SU7543710442
© Mr David Easton. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Easton, David
Rights Holder: Easton, David
Roman Cement, Slate, Victorian Lodge, Domestic, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument