This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
822/1/24 CHURCH STREET 822/2/24 (Southeast side) 15-JUN-51 PARISH CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
Early foundation. present church is mainly Early English from circa 1220 but a few remnants of earlier Norman work survive and a Saxon cross shaft (part) in the south aisle. The church is believed to stand on the site of a pagan holy well, now thought to be concealed beneath tyre crossing. The tower and spire circa 133O. The spire, which has been rebuilt several times, has a height of 215 ft. Perpendicular additions and alterations circa 1520. The battlements to the chancel were added by Sir G G Scott in 1878 and the church was restored by Cottingham earlier in the C19. Some fine monuments from C14, of which the most famous is probably the figure of Penelope Boothby 1791, by Thomas Banks.
Some mediaeval glass remains. In l644, the church was fired on by Parliamentarians and the marks are still visible in the west wall.
Nos 38, 40 and 72, together with Pegg's Almshouses, Owlfield's Almhouses, The Mansion, the Summerhouse and the cobbled pavements form a group with the parish Church of St Oswald and the churchyard gate piers, gates and walls.
Listing NGR: SK1763146443
© Mr Ken Bourne. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bourne, Ken
Rights Holder: Bourne, Ken
Early Medieval Cross, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Parish Church, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Holy Well, Water Supply And Drainage, Well, Water Storage Site