Lady Mico's Almshouses / Mercer's Cottages

Date:
2 May 2004
Location:
Lady Mico's Almshouses, 1-6 Stepney High Street E1, Stepney, Tower Hamlets, Greater London, E1 0NN
Show all locations
Lady Mico's Almshouses, 1-6 Whitehorse Road E1, Stepney, Tower Hamlets, Greater London, E1 0NN
Mercer's Cottages, 1-10 Whitehorse Road E1, Stepney, Tower Hamlets, Greater London, E1 0NN
Reference:
IOE01/12213/15
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

In the entry for:- STEPNEY HIGH STREET El 1.

4431 (South Side) Lady Mico's Almshouses (Nos 1 to 6 (consec) TQ 3681 17/669 II 2.

Almshouses, rebuilt 1856. Central on terrace is a painted stone tablet with sculp bust above cartouche, date 1691. Grey/white brick, slate roof. Rusticated stuces quoins between houses. Stucco band at 1st floor sill height. 2 storeys, 3 windows each, all sashes. Centre 1st floor of 2 lights with architrave under stucco pediment Ground floor windows have architrave surrounds under pediments on consoles. Brick porches with pedimented gables and side brackets.

STEPNEY HIGH STREET El _ (South Side) shall be amended to read IWITEEORSE ROAD El

------------------------------------ In the entry for:

WHITEHORSE ROAD E1 TQ 3681 SW (South Side)

17/669 Lady Mico's Almhouses

II Nos 1 to 6 (consec)

The address and description shall be amended to read:-

TQ 3681 SW WHITEHORSE ROAD E1

17/669 MERCER'S COTTAGES

II NOS 1 - 10 (consec)

Formerly listed as Lady Mico's Almshouses. Symmetrical terrace of 10 cottages. 1856 by George Smith for the mercers' Company; Nos 7-10 largely rebuilt in facsimile following war damage. Grey/white brick with slate roofs.

Rusticated stucco quoins between houses. 2 storeys. 14 window range.

Brick porches with gauged brick flat arches to entrances and paired enriched console brackets supporting pedimented gables; Nos 1 and 10 on returns. No 2 to 9, one porch per pair, giving illusion of four double fronted cottages.

Architraved sashes; ground floors with enriched console brackets supporting cornices and lugged cills, 1st floors with cornices and stucco sill band, lugged at sashes. Central 1st floor painted, stone plaque with cartouch inscribed "The Gift of Dame/Jane Mico Relicta of/S Sam Mico Mercer dec/Built Ano 1691" and summounted by a female bust. Beneath, a stone plague inscribed "Rebuilt by The Worshipful Company of Mercers/AD 1856". Lady Mico, wife of Sir Samuel Mico, Mercer and alderman, bequeathed money for the original almshouses for widows. Taken over 1976 by the GLC for housing.

------------------------------------ 1. STEPNEY HIGH STREET E1 4431 (South Side)

Lady Mico's Almshouses (Nos 1 to 6 (consec)) TQ 3681 17/669 II

2.

Almshouses, rebuilt 1856. Central on terrace is a painted stone tablet with sculptured bust above cartouche, date 1691. Grey/white brick, slate roof. Rusticated stucco quoins between houses. Stucco band at 1st floor sill height. 2 storeys, 3 windows each, all sashes. Centre 1st floor of 2 lights with architrave under stucco pediment.

Ground floor windows have architrave surrounds under pediments on consoles. Brick porches with pedimented gables and side brackets.

Listing NGR: TQ3603481445

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1408 IOE Records taken by Stewart Monk; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Stewart Monk. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Monk, Stewart

Rights Holder: Monk, Stewart

Keywords

Brick, Slate, Stucco, Stuart Almshouse, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument