This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD3317NE PROMENADE 664-1/9/156 (West side) Lakeside Inn
Small public house. Probably built between 1892, when the north portion of the Marine Lake was added (or 1895, when the 2 lakes were joined) and 1913, when King George V opened the new lake and gardens. Timber-framed with panelled boarded walls and red tiled roof and ridge tiles with a finial near the end of each ridge. Small rectangular plan, built into north angle between the Boathouse (which it adjoins) and the Promenade. EXTERIOR: 2-storey structure presenting only the upper storey to the Promenade (the lower storey built against the face of the embankment); 3 bay loggia with wooden posts carrying an oversailing roof with projected gabled centre, protecting a small area with benches; pierced bargeboarding to the gable.
Under the loggia the recessed front wall of the enclosed main range has geometrical framing. The roof is hipped at each end but with a gable breaking through. INTERIOR: not inspected. Forms group with the Boathouse (qv) and with the Cafe on the lakeside approx. 30m to the south-west (qv).
Listing NGR: SD3340817585
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Panel Board, Tile, Timber, Victorian Timber Framed Building, 20th Century Monument (By Form), Loggia, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Building, Public House, Commercial, Licensed Premises, Eating And Drinking Establishment, Recreational