Cittie Of Yorke Public House / Henekeys Public House

Date:
8 Aug 2004
Location:
Cittie Of Yorke Public House, 22 And 23 High Holborn, Camden Town, Camden, Greater London, WC1V 6BS
Show all locations
Henekeys Public House, 22 And 23 High Holborn, Camden Town, Camden, Greater London, WC1V 6BS
Reference:
IOE01/12778/34
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

CAMDEN

TQ3181NW HIGH HOLBORN 798-1/102/828 (North side) 14/05/74 Nos.22 AND 23 Cittie of Yorke Public House (Formerly Listed as: HIGH HOLBORN Nos.22 AND 23 Henekey's Public House)

II

Public house. Mostly of 1923-4, probably by Ernest R Barrow, replacing earlier wine shop of G Henekey and Co. Front faced in Portland stone with leaded lights, side and rear elevations of stock brick with wooden windows. Tiled roofs. Neo-Tudor style. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and cellars. Front symmetrical, divided into 2 vertical units. Ground storey of front with doors at ends, centre with windows above timber base, slightly altered.

Above, shallow bay windows left and right rising through 2 storeys and capped with string course carried on ornamental corbels, and then a third storey with single mullioned windows and terminating in parapet with 2 small enriched and shouldered gables. Large clock on ornamental bracket in centre between first and second storeys. INTERIOR: public entrance on right leading into wide passage with 4-centred timber arches and paved with flagstones. Front bar conventional with high panelled dado. Rear bar takes the form of a medieval-style hall running north-south with open timberwork and much dark woodwork, and lit from a clerestory and large bay window along east side. Below clerestory, 3 arches of uneven width with a series of snugs behind. On the west side the bar and above it a gallery on thin fluted cast-iron columns, probably Victorian, supporting casks and barrels of perhaps similar date, and above that again a high passage gallery for access to casks running the length of the room, partly supported from roof, partly by lower gallery and with wrought-iron handrail. Fittings include a freestanding triangular cast-iron ornamental stove fireplace with initials 'TIK', reputedly from Gray's Inn, c1815. HISTORICAL NOTE: an inscription on the fascia reads: 'Established as the site of a public house in 1430'. The present building retains few traces of pre-twentieth century work.





Listing NGR: TQ3103581648

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1310 IOE Records taken by David March; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr David March. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: March, David

Rights Holder: March, David

Keywords

Brick, Tile, 20th Century Public House, Commercial, Licensed Premises, Eating And Drinking Establishment, Recreational