This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SP 59 SW LITTLEMORE SANDFORD ROAD (East side) 316/1/106 Littlemore Hospital 25.10.1984 II
County Lunatic Asylum. 1846, enlarged 1847 and 1852. By R.N. Clark of Nottingham, followed by H.J. Underwood and J.C. Buckler. Squared coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressing; shallow-pitched Welsh slate roofs with stone stacks. Central block with wings radiating from flanking octagonal towers. 3-storey main block of 11 sashes, the end bays recessed, with ashlar quoins and first-floor storey-band. Bays 2, 6 and 10 break forward with shallow-pitched gables, the deep verge carried on heavy stone brackets, and with projecting lintels to first-floor windows, by 6 having plain pilasters continuing round the gable and a moulded stone hood on brackets over the main entrance. Hipped roof with boxed eaves. 3-storey towers with timber-bracketted eaves and round-headed sashes are skirted by one-storey ranges linking main block with wings. Central gabled projection with bellcote at rear of main block. 2-storey 12-sash plain wings form sides of forecourt and terminate in 5x3 bay pavillions parallel with the main block. 2-storey fronts have cornice and plain parapet with central canted 2-storey bay window of 2, 3 and 2 sashes under a trangular pediment. Flanking sashes have plain ashlar architrave and blocks supporting sill. Further plain 2-storey wings project from the towers to sides and rear. Outer wings running at right angles to the main block are excluded as is the central rear wing.
Listing NGR: SP5358202401
© Mr Sean Bergin. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bergin, Sean
Rights Holder: Bergin, Sean
Ashlar, Limestone, Rubble, Welsh Slate, Victorian Psychiatric Hospital, Health And Welfare, Hospital