This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NT 93 SW EWART LANTON
3/60 Lanton Memorial
Obelisk. Probably erected 1827 to John Davison of Lanton by his brother Alexander Davison of Swarland Park. A further inscription records the death of Alexander Davison in 1828. Dressed whinstone with sandstone ashlar plinth and quoins. Square base c.1O ft. high surmounted by tall obelisk, the whole with flush quoins in contrasting stone.
Ashlar strip at top of base inscribed "John Davison 1827". A similar strip c.3 ft. up the obelisk is inscribed "Alexander Davison 1795" which may record the date at which he bought Swarland Park.
Marble tablet on south side of base is inscribed:-
This tablet Dedicated by Sir Wm. Davison of Lanton, Knight of the Illustrious Guelphic Order of Hanover. To the memory of his much beloved and lamented father Alexander Davison Esquire of Swarland Park whose private virtues endeared him to his.....and whose Distinguished ......in Public service .....
Died sincerely lamented December 19th 1828 aged 80 years
Alexander Davison who was chandler to Lord Nelson, erected another similar obelisk in 1806 near Swarland to the memory of Nelson.
Very prominent landscape feature.
Hist. of Northumberland Vol. XI p. 138 Vol. VII p. 401-2
Listing NGR: NT9189031544
© Mr Don Brownlow. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Brownlow, Don
Rights Holder: Brownlow, Don
Ashlar, Sandstone, Stone, Whinstone, Georgian Obelisk, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Ornament, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative